Not a Member? Recreation Members receive access to all of our facilities located conveniently across campus, and receive discounted pricing on a variety of classes, trips, services and more! Become a Recreation Member today.
RETURN TO REC POLICIES
- Reservations may be made online up to 48 hours in advance
- Members are limited to two 45 minute reservations per day
- Each reservation must be in a different zone
- Reservations may be made online up to 48 hours in advance
- Members are limited to one 50 minute reservation per day
- Reservations may be made online up to 5 days in advance
- Members are limited to one workout reservation per day
- Walk-ups are permitted, given the reservation time has slots available
- Walk-up check ins open 5 minutes prior to the reservation start time
- Late Show – patrons can show up late but must leave at the end of reserved time
- Reservations not claimed within 15 minutes of the start time will be declared no-shows and become available for walk-up check-ins.
- No Shows – goal is to help patron understand the impact of their no show
- 1st - Education
- 2nd - Warning
- 3rd - One-week reservation suspension
- 4th - Two-week reservation suspension
- 5th - Four-week reservation suspension
- To protect others, everyone that enters the facility is required to wear a face covering over their nose and mouth, except while swimming.
- Everyone must maintain at least 6’ of physical distancing from other patrons at all times while in the facility.
- Must maintain a space of 10’ in fitness gyms
- Must wash hands or use hand sanitizer upon entry and should wash hands or use hand sanitizer frequently while in the Rec facility.
- Stay within reserved zone.
- Refrain from handshakes, hugs, fist bumps, or physical contact of any kind. Air high-fives encouraged!
- Follow signage for one-way traffic areas.
- Follow instructions regarding the closure of specific areas or equipment to ensure distancing can be maintained.
- Follow all posted guidance and directions from Recreation staff and adhere to the Recreation Code of Conduct.
- Patrons not following Health Responsibilities will be subject to the following consequences
- Education of safety policies
- Formal warning
- One-week suspension of facility access
- Indefinite Suspension of facility access
- Students will also be referred to the office of student conduct
- Maintain 10' of physical distance between you and other patrons
- Wipe down vinyl padding on benches and stationary equipment after use
- Wipe down dumbbells, weight plates, medicine balls, kettlebells, handles, and other small pieces of equipment after use
- Wipe down barbells after use
- Spotting is not allowed, do not lift more than you can and maintain personal safety
- Stay within your designated Zone as indicated by your wristband
- 20 minute time limit on benches and squat racks
- Cough or sneeze into your elbow
- Be kind, we are all in this together
Form and Waiver links
Waiver of Liability: The University of California has mandated that anyone participating in any recreational activity or program or utilizing any recreational facility MUST complete an approved Waiver of Liability.
Code of Conduct: Anyone using Recreation facilities, programs, services or attending an event agrees to comply with this Code of Conduct.
UC San Diego Recreation: Code of Conduct
Recreation embraces the UC San Diego Principles of Community and is committed to the highest standards of civility and decency toward all. We promote and support a community where all people can work, learn and enjoy the privilege of recreation activities together in an atmosphere free of abusive, inappropriate or demeaning treatment.
UCSD Students, Faculty, Staff, Members, Participants, Guests and Spectators of Recreation facilities, programs, services, events and athletic competitions are expected to behave with civility, appropriate conduct and respect for the rights of others which may include patrons, staff, guests, consultants, instructors, vendors, and others working in or recreating in our facilities and programs. When you use Recreation facilities, programs, services or become a Recreation member, purchase a guest pass, are admitted using a complimentary day pass or attend an event, you agree to comply with this Code of Conduct and cooperate with staff.
All members and guests are encouraged to exercise good judgment in caring for the safety of others as well as themselves. Respect the facilities and all equipment used during participation. Familiarize yourself with and inspect equipment before use. Report any injuries, incidents or problems with equipment or facilities to Recreation staff.
Individuals should consult with their personal physician before starting an exercise routine. Proper attire is required always. Hours, policies and availability of facilities are subject to change.
Individuals and groups who engage in unacceptable or disruptive behavior may have their access to UC San Diego Recreation facilities, programs, services and events temporarily or permanently revoked, modified, suspended and/or may be subject to further university or law enforcement action. No refunds will be given for loss of membership privileges or program/service/event fees due to breach of the Code of Conduct. Standards of Conduct include, but are not limited to, the examples outlined below. The following types of conduct are specifically prohibited. If you witness or experience threatening or inappropriate behavior by another individual, please report the situation immediately to Recreation staff.
AGGRESSIVE, UNSAFE OR RECKLESS BEHAVIOR OR LANGUAGE
Aggressive, violent, unsafe or reckless behavior is explicitly forbidden at all activities, programs and events held in Recreation facilities. The assessment of these types of behaviors lies with Recreation staff. You may not promote or engage in physical abuse, verbal abuse, threats, intimidation, harassment, coercion and/or other conduct, which threatens or endangers the health or safety of any person. You may not use “fighting words” to harass any employee or guest in connection to Recreation indoor or outdoor spaces, official university functions, in or university sponsored programs, events or activities.
You may not engage in disorderly or lewd conduct including being under the influence of alcohol or controlled substances.
A valid membership, pass registration or ticket is required for access to all UC San Diego Recreation facilities, programs and services. Entering unauthorized areas such as offices and maintenance workshops without the express permission of Recreation will be considered trespassing.
Sharing identification cards for access into Recreation facilities is considered forgery. If you forge, alter, give unauthorized use or misuse any University document, record, key, electronic device, or identification, then your actions will result in a loss of privileges and/or a fine.
PHOTOGRAPHY AND VIDEO
Photography or video shooting is prohibited at Recreation facilities without prior department and campus approval. This rule is in place to protect the privacy of our members.
UNAUTHORIZED COMMERCIAL ACTIVITY
Posting, advertising, conducting unauthorized private lessons or training, soliciting individuals in UC San Diego Recreation facilities for personal services, businesses, or agencies is strictly prohibited.
COMPLIANCE WITH RECREATION POLICIES
Department employees are responsible for managing and maintaining the safety of our members and facilities. All users must comply with posted instructions or signs and with the directions of UCSD Recreation staff, University official(s) or other public official(s) acting in the performance of their duties. Failure to comply with staff requests, directions, or instructions will result in a loss of privileges.
The following actions are considered Criminal Activity and will result in immediate police action. Department staff will contact University police and request assistance addressing the immediate threat. Additional sanctions and restrictions will apply including loss of privileges.
Damage to or destruction of any property of the University or property of others while on University premises.
Rape, sexual assault, sexual violence, sexual harassment, stalking, physical assault, battery, threats of violence, or conduct that threatens the health or safety of any person.
Removal of or conversion of University property or the property of others while on University premises or sponsored program.
Use or possession of an explosive device, firearm, or other deadly weapon when on the premises.
REC CLASS POLICY INFORMATION
GENERAL REFUND POLICIES
- If you wish to drop a class and receive a refund or request a transfer, please email email@example.com, or visit the RIMAC or Main Gym desks in person.
- Refund requests received prior to the second class occurrence will be given a full refund minus a $10 processing fee. The $10 processing fee will be assessed per offering, per refund request.
- Refunds are not available after the second class occurrence.
- Refund requests made for purchases originally made in person must be processed in person.
- The amount of the refund per offering must be over $10 or a refund will not be provided.
- Refunds are not available for late registrants, i.e. purchasing the class after the second class meeting. Classes are not prorated.
- No refunds for class transfers
- No transfers after the 2nd class meeting
- Private training sessions/lessons, special events, special passes, and interim classes are not eligible for refunds.
- The week following the last scheduled class is designated for class make-ups and is considered part of the class schedule. If the missed class(es) cannot be made up you will receive a refund based on the hourly price (lower price) of the class.
24-hour cancellation notice is required.
WORKSHOPS/ ONE-DAY CLASSES
Requests must be made 5 business days prior to date of workshop/class to receive a refund. All above refund policies apply for workshops and one-day classes.
- Due to circumstances beyond our control (weather, instructor illness, etc.) class sessions may occasionally need to be cancelled. We attempt to notify you via email in advance. Please make sure your email address is available in your account.
- Under-enrolled classes may be cancelled. Customers will receive notification of cancelled classes and have a choice of receiving either a refund or transfer into an open class, if possible. If the class is fully cancelled for the quarter the
- Customer will receive a full refund with no processing fee attached.
- We reserve the right to place students in appropriate class levels.
- We reserve the right to substitute instructors, as needed, into already assigned classes.
- Unless otherwise noted, adult classes have a minimum age of 16 years.
CHILDREN’S CLASS POLICIES
- Minors must be accompanied by a parent/guardian during private lessons.
- Parents are encouraged to stay during the duration of their child’s group lesson.
- Only children enrolled in the Rec Classes are permitted to participate.
- Please abide by the program policies, specific to those special programs/facilities, i.e. pool rules, gymnastics facility rules
REC CLASS REGISTRATION INFORMATION
Program Registration Form and Waiver
Rec Card Application Form and Waiver
You may register using:
Walk-In registration: You may register in person at RIMAC, Main Gym or Canyonview Aquatics Center.
FITLIFE POLICY INFORMATION
GENERAL CANCELLATION POLICIES
- If you wish to cancel a class or request a transfer, please email firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit the RIMAC, Main Gym, or Canyonview sales desks in-person for quick and friendly service.
- Refunds for purchases originally made in-person must be processed in-person.
The following offering types are not eligible for refund:
- Private training sessions/lessons, workshops, special events, special passes, interim classes.
- Any cancellations refunded to credit on account will not be eligible for payout after the refund has been processed and credit assigned.
- Due to circumstances beyond our control (weather, illness, under-enrollment etc.), UC San Diego Recreation may occasionally cancel classes and trips. In the event of this, we will make every attempt to notify participants in a timely fashion and will refund accordingly.
- Holders of a Fit-Yoga Pass should always refer to the most current class
schedule, available by clicking here.
- Requests received prior to the second class occurrence will receive a full refund
less a $10 processing fee.
- The $10 processing fee will be assessed per offering. The amount of the refund
per offering must be over $10 or a refund will not be provided.
- Refunds are not available after the second class occurrence.
- Refund requests for CPR, First Aid or Lifeguard Training classes must be received
prior to 14 days before the scheduled starting date.
Refunds are NOT given for the following: Workshops, Special Events and Passes.
All refund requests must be made by email to: email@example.com
Transfers: Transfer requests may be made at any time via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or in person at the RIMAC Sales Desk. If the class you wish to transfer into is full, follow the Add Slip procedure listed above. If the class you wish to transfer into costs more, then the transfer request must be made at the RIMAC Sales Desk and the difference between the two classes must be paid.
Personal Training/Private Pilates/Massage Services/Nutritional Services/Private Yoga: 24 hours notice is required for cancellation, or you will be charged the session cost. To schedule: Personal Training call (858) 822-2313, Massage Services call (858) 822-4552, Private Pilates and Private Yoga email email@example.com, Nutritional Services call (858) 822-0372, Private Session call (858) 822-2313.
Cancellations: Occasionally classes are cancelled permanently or on a daily basis. In the event of a permanent cancellation, customers will be given the option of a full refund or a transfer to a different class. Due to circumstances beyond our control, daily cancellations occasionally happen (instructor illnesses, emergencies, facility/equipment malfunctions or inclement weather). Our office makes every attempt to contact participants via phone or email. Please be sure your registration information is accurate. We will attempt to make up the cancelled class but if that is not possible, a refund will be issued.
We reserve the right to place you in the appropriate class, and we reserve the right to refuse service.
As a courtesy to the instructor and the other participants, and for safety considerations, the use of personal electronic devices (iPods, mp3 players, cell phones, etc) is prohibited during class time.
Special Accommodations requests must be received 2 weeks in advance via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
WHO GOES ON TRIPS?
Outback trips serve UC San Diego students, staff, and faculty, and the general community by providing adventures such as backpacking, camping, kayaking, surfing, and rock climbing. Participants must be 18 years or older, except on child specific programs or family trips where younger participants must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
OUTBACK TRIPS INCLUDE:
- Transportation to and from the outing from Outback Adventures
- Trained and experienced guides
- Instruction in the trip equipment unless otherwise noted
- All safety equipment
- All group camping and trip equipment unless otherwise notes
- Entrance, parking, and camping fees
- Food while camping (on trips longer than 1 day)
- 50% rental discount at the Outback Rental Shop on any equipment you need for your trip!
WHAT TRIP SHOULD I CHOOSE?
We have tried to arrange our trips in a way that makes it easy for you to find exactly what you want. All of our trips are arranged here by length of trip, and then by date. Glance through the trips and look what what you want specifically!
WARNING: Adventure travel has inherent risks of injury and/or death. These risks contribute to the “adventure” aspect of our trips. UC San Diego Outback Adventures and its employees assume no liability for any damages, loss, injury, or death as a result of our outings. Some trips have a prerequisite fitness level, for which the participants are responsible.
IS THIS GOING TO BE TOO HARD?
All of our trips are geared for beginners with no previous experience or skill, unless otherwise noted. Our trips are designed to expose you to new skills and introduce you to the diverse activities that you can enjoy in the outdoors. Some of our trips, however, are more physically demanding than others. All waterspouts participants must be able to swim. If you have questions about whether a trip will fit your physical capabilities, please contact the Outdoor Leadership Coordinator at (828) 534-3534.
To sign up for our trips, register online, drop by Outback Adventures, Outback Surf Shop or RIMAC during our business hours. Don’t miss out! Register early- trips fill quickly. Sorry, we are unable to take registrations over the phone. Note that the first price listed is for UC San Diego students and Rec Members, and the second price is for Non-Members.
All trips depart from Outback Adventures Rental Shop unless otherwise specified.
CANCELLATION OF TRIPS
We plan for success. Outback Adventures creates trips and prepares resources and logistics with our mission, customers, and goals of the specific trip in mind. We are disappointed when programs must be cancelled, but it happens on occasion. Some of the reasons we need to cancel a program are:
- Predicted or prevailing unsafe weather conditions
- Insufficient sign-ups
- Illness or injury among the guiding staff
- Rarely, other circumstances beyond our control
TRIPS AND CLASSES REFUND POLICY
• Requests received prior to 30 days in advance of the trip’s start date will receive a 90% refund.
• Requests received less than 30 days but prior to 14 days in advance of the trip’s start date
will receive a 75% refund.
• Refunds are not available less than 14 days in advance of the trip’s start date.
• Unless previously approved, transferring trips, dates, or times constitutes a cancellation
and the above policies apply.
OUTBACK GEAR RENTAL INFORMATION
Come get geared up for your next adventure at the Outback Adventures Rental Shop, the best place on campus for information, registration, and gear for any of our amazing outings, or one of your own! Whether you’re planning an expedition to the heart of the wilderness or to the heart of Pacific Beach, the Rental Shop has everything from tents and sleeping bags to surfboards and horseshoes. Of course our amazing staff are always available to provide advice a-plenty and there is free 20 minute parking for easy loading and unloading. With the best prices for students around as well as weekend and weekly rentals rates, why buy?
Please take a moment to read over how our rentals work.
1. ONE DAY — This rate allows you to rent an item until closing of the following day.
2. ADDITIONAL DAY — This rate allows you to rent an item for multiple days at a reduced cost, in addition to the original one day cost.
3. WEEKEND — The weekend rate is designed for customers looking to rent an item for the weekend ONLY. This rental period allows you to rent items from Friday to Monday.
4. WEEK — This rental rate allows you to rent an item for a full seven days. If you rent an item on a Thursday, it will be due Thursday of the following week.
ANSWERS TO COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
When do I pay?
Rental fees must be paid in full at the time of reservation. Deposits must be left at the time of reservation or equipment pickup.
Who can rent?
Anyone with proper identification can rent from Outback Adventures. A current UC San Diego ID or a government issued ID such as a driver’s license or passport can be used for identification.
Do I need to leave a deposit?
All customers except enrolled UC San Diego students must leave a deposit. A deposit is a credit card imprint, signed travelers check, a check written to UC REGENTS, or cash equal to the approximate retail replacement value of the equipment rented. Your deposit will be returned to you upon return of all the equipment and payment of any and all late fees, repair and/or replacement costs. Students with unpaid fees will have their UC San Diego Student Account held until fees are cleared.
How do I reserve equipment?
You may reserve any item as far in advance as you like. Reservations for equipment that requires fitting (e.g., skis, boots), must be made in person at Outback Rental Shop. All other equipment can be reserved over the phone: (858) 534-0684 or at either of our locations. Reservations must be paid in full at the time they are made. All other rentals are first-come, first-serve basis.
How do I know equipment is complete and working when I pick it up?
You don’t. Please inspect all equipment before you leave. If you find any damage or missing parts, immediately bring it to our attention so we can help you. You are responsible for any cleaning, damage or missing parts upon return.
What if I don’t use or pick up reserved equipment?
There are NO REFUNDS for any unused equipment or equipment not picked up for any reason.
How much equipment can I rent?
You can rent as much equipment as you like, but advance reservations are recommended to ensure availability.
What if I don’t know how to use the equipment?
Please be sure to request instruction if you are the slightest bit unsure on how to use the equipment. Knowing how to use the equipment correctly will help save your time and help you avoid spending money on damage fees resulting from inexperienced use of the equipment.
Who gets discount student pricing?
Only currently enrolled UC students are eligible for student discount pricing. UC students from other campuses must present a valid UC ID to receive student pricing. UC San Diego Extension students are not eligible for student pricing as they do not pay student registration fees.
Can I buy your used equipment?
Outback Adventures typically hosts an equipment sale in the Fall and Spring Quarters. Please visit recreation.ucsd.edu/outback for the dates of the next equipment sale.
Please contact the Rental Shop to cancel a reservation.
More than one week = full refund
More than 48 hours = store credit for reservation total, can be used for rental items only. Cancellation credits expire on June 15th.
Less than 48 hours = customer forfeits all rental fees, no refund or credit.
What do I need to know when I return the equipment?
- All gear must be returned clean or service charges will apply.
- You are responsible for the specific equipment you signed for.
- You are solely responsible for any damages and timely return of equipment.
- For equipment to be considered returned, it must be physically returned and any damage, cleaning or late fees must be paid. Hours change periodically. You are responsible for knowing our hours.
- Tents must be returned, clean and dry or you will be assessed a cleaning charge.
What if I lose or damage the equipment?
- You are responsible for any loss, theft, breakage or any other damage done to equipment rented out to you.
- Repair costs will be determined by our customer service repre- sentatives. Repair for severe damage or replacement costs will be determined by the program director or Outback store manager.
- Replacement costs for items normally rented in pairs (i.e. skis, boots, ns, etc.) will be the cost for replacement of the entire pair.
What if I am returning equipment late?
- You will be charged the additional day rental rate for your late items for each day they are late.
- We DO NOT waive late fees.
- Any items late by 3 or more weeks will be considered stolen and the deposit will be forfeited. Billing will be for retail replacement costs plus four weeks late fees.
- Items not returned, which do not have a deposit associated with them, will be billed on your Bursar’s account and will include a non-refundable service charge.For more information on shop hours and contact, click here.