Not a Member? Recreation Members receive access to all our facilities located conveniently across campus, and receive discounted pricing on a variety of classes, trips, services and more! Become a Recreation Member today.
OUTBACK CLIMBING CENTER
Climbing Center (858) 822-1996 | email@example.com
Indoor climbing is a low-risk, high-adrenaline sport offering:
- Convenient, on-campus access
- An interesting and diverse work-out
- Intellectual and physical problem solving
- A place to meet new and bring old friends
- Varying degrees of challenge
In 1995 we came up with the great idea to convert two racquetball courts into the coolest climbing and bouldering facility on campus. The Outback Climbing Center is a professionally designed and built complex, well equipped for both the first-timer and the seasoned climber. Our staff are friendly and accessible for belaying, instruction, coaching and advice. Come check it out!
All climbers must sign a Liability Waiver in order to climb.
We are located just inside the main door of the Canyonview Aquatics Center on the UCSD campus off of Voigt Drive.
- From Interstate 5, exit Genesee Avenue and head east
- Turn right onto Campus Point Drive
- Turn right onto Voigt Drive
- We are directly across Warren Fields, in the Canyonview Pool Complex
- The closest parking lot is P510. Be sure to follow all posted parking guidelines. Parking is currently free on weekends.
- Click here for an interactive map of the campus or use Google Maps to get directions from your location
Winter Break Closure Friday of Finals Week - Re-open Sunday of Week 1 Winter Quarter
Spring Break Closure Friday of Finals Week - Re-open Monday of Week 1 Spring Quarter
Pre-Summer Closure Friday of Finals week - Re-open Monday of Summer Session 1
September Closure Friday of Summer Session 2 - Re-open Thursday of Zero Week Fall Quarter
- MLK Day
- Presidents Day
- Memorial Day
- July 4th
- Labor Day
- Veterans Day
If a holiday falls on a Monday, we will also be closed on the Sunday prior.
Please call us for specific closure dates or questions.
Interested in a Private Gym Rental, Party or Event?
Climbing Center rentals are available for everyone including on-campus groups and the public. Schedule a birthday party, a unique meeting with your coworkers, or bring just a group of friends and enjoy exclusive use of the gym. Kids and adults of all ages will enjoy the thrill of indoor rock climbing.
Private Gym Rental (Requires reservations) Includes:
- 2 hours exclusive gym use
- Instruction and supervision by Outback staff
- All necessary climbing equipment
- Available during our closed hours (not available during <a href="http://recreation.ucsd.edu/facilities/facilities/">normal gym hours</a>)
- $170 for first 10 climbers ($153 for UCSD affiliated groups)
- $8/person for additional climbers, 30 climbers maximum
UCSD R.A. Rental Special (Requires reservations)
- Private rental only $8/person, no deposit required
- 15 person minimum/30 person maximum/hour
Want to take Your Climbing to the Next Level?
We now offer private training. One of our qualified staff will work with you in small groups or even one-on-one to develop the best training exercises and techniques to advance your climbing skills. Rates start at $15 per hour.
For groups bringing children under the age of 14, we recommend bringing as many adults as possible to maximize the children's climbing time. Our staff will provide belay instruction, safety guidelines, and basic climbing technique at the start of the rental. Please wear comfortable athletic clothing and remove all jewelry (especially rings and long necklaces).
Contact to schedule your event or private workshop today!