Come get geared up for your next adventure at the Outback Adventures Rental Shop, the best place on campus for information, registration, and gear for any of our amazing outings, or one of your own! Whether you’re planning an expedition to the heart of the wilderness or to the heart of Pacific Beach, the Rental Shop has everything from tents and sleeping bags to surfboards and horseshoes. Of course our amazing staff are always available to provide advice a-plenty and there is free 20 minute parking for easy loading and unloading. With the best prices for students around as well as weekend and weekly rentals rates, why buy?
Please take a moment to read over how our rentals work.
1. ONE DAY — This rate allows you to rent an item until closing of the following day.”
2. ADDITIONAL DAY — This rate allows you to rent an item for multiple days at a reduced cost, in addition to the original one day cost.
3. WEEKEND — The weekend rate is designed for customers looking to rent an item for the weekend ONLY. This rental period allows you to rent items from Friday to Monday.
4. WEEK — This rental rate allows you to rent an item for a full seven days. If you rent an item on a Thursday, it will be due Thursday of the following week.
When do I pay?
Rental fees must be paid in full at the time of reservation. Deposits must be left at the time of reservation or equipment pickup.
Who can rent?
Anyone with proper identi cation can rent from Outback Adventures. A current UC San Diego ID or a government issued ID such as a driver’s license or passport can be used for identi cation.
Do I need to leave a deposit?
All customers except enrolled UC San Diego students must leave a deposit. A deposit is a credit card imprint, signed travelers check,
a check written to UC REGENTS, or cash equal to the approximate retail replacement value of the equipment rented. Your deposit will be returned to you upon return of all the equipment and payment of any and all late fees, repair and/or replacement costs. Students with unpaid fees will have their UC San Diego Student Account held until fees are cleared.
How do I reserve equipment?
You may reserve any item as far in advance as you like. Reservations for equipment that requires tting (e.g., skis, boots), must be made in person at Outback Rental Shop. All other equipment can be reserved over the phone: (858) 534-0684 or at either of our loca- tions. Reservations must be paid in full at the time they are made. All other rentals are rst-come, rst-serve basis.
Please contact the Rental Shop to cancel a reservation.
How do I know equipment is complete and working when I pick it up?
You don’t. Please inspect all equipment before you leave. If you nd any damage or missing parts, immediately bring it to our attention so we can help you. You are responsible for any cleaning, damage or missing parts upon return.
What if I don’t use or pick up reserved equipment?
There are NO REFUNDS for any unused equipment or equipment not picked up for any reason.
How much equipment can I rent?
You can rent as much equipment as you like, but advance reserva- tions are recommended to ensure availability.
What if I don’t know how to use the equipment?
Please be sure to request instruction if you are the slightest bit unsure on how to use the equipment. Knowing how to use the equipment correctly will help save your time and help you avoid spending money on damage fees resulting from inexperienced use of the equipment.
Who gets discount student pricing?
Only currently enrolled UC students are eligible for student discount pricing. UC students from other campuses must present a valid UC ID to receive student pricing. UC San Diego Extension students are not eligible for student pricing as they do not pay student registration fees.
Can I buy your used equipment?
Outback Adventures typically hosts an equipment sale in the Fall and Spring Quarters. Please visit recreation.ucsd.edu/outback for the dates of the next equipment sale.
What do I need to know when I return the equipment?
• All gear must be returned clean or service charges will apply. • You are responsible for the speci c (inventory number)equipment you signed for.
• You are solely responsible for any damages and timely return of equipment.
• For equipment to be considered returned, it must be physically returned and any damage, cleaning or late fees must be paid. Hours change periodically. You are responsible for knowing our hours.
• Tents must be returned, clean and dry or you will be assessed a cleaning charge.
What if I lose or damage the equipment?
• You are responsible for any loss, theft, breakage or any other damage done to equipment rented out to you.
• Repair costs will be determined by our customer service repre- sentatives. Repair for severe damage or replacement costs will be determined by the program director or Outback store manager.
• Replacement costs for items normally rented in pairs (i.e. skis, boots, ns, etc.) will be the cost for replacement of the entire pair.
What if I am returning equipment late?
• You will be charged the additional day rental rate for your late items for each day they are late.
• We DO NOT waive late fees.
• Any items late by 3 or more weeks will be considered stolen and the deposit will be forfeited. Billing will be for retail replacement costs plus four weeks late fees.
• Items not returned, which do not have a deposit associated with them, will be billed on your Bursar’s account and will include a non-refundable service charge.
For more information on shop hours and contact, click here.
Rental Item Description
Wetsuit (Full–4mm/3mm) Quarter 4/3 rental for UC San Diego surf classes is $70
$13 / $15
$7 / $8
$20 / $24
$52 / $58
Wetsuit (Full–3mm/2mm) Quarter 3/2 rental for UC San Diego surf classes is $50
$10 / $13
$6 / $7
$16 / $20
$26 / $32
Wetsuit (Spring–2mm/1mm) Quarter 2/1 rental for UC San Diego surf classes is $35
$8 / $10
$13 / $16
$20 / $27
Surfboard (7′ – 9′, foamboards only)
$20 / $23
$10 / $12
$31 / $35
Body board (42″)
$8 / $10
Kayak — Sit-on-top single
$23 / $25
$12 / $13
$35 / $38
$55 / $63
Kayak — Sit-on-top double Kayak rentals include PFDs, seats, paddles and helmets.
$29 / $31
$15 / $16
$44 / $47
$72 / $78
$9 / $12
$5 / $6
$14 / $17
$23 / $29
Paddle Jacket (windproof pullover)
$6 / $8
$3 / $5
$15 / $20
PFD (Life Vest)
$7 / $10
$11 / $14
$8 / $13
Mask and Snorkel (for snorkeling)
$7 / $9
$4 / $5
Fins (for snorkeling — full foot only)
$3 / $6
$2 / $3
$6 / $10
$10 / $15
Dry Bag (water proof bag) — small (20L), medium (40L), large (55L) and XL (65L)
$5 / $7
$7 / $11
$12 / $17
Tent (2 person, 5lbs. 6oz.)
$32 / $38
Tent (3–4 person, 10lbs. 8oz.)
$16 / $18
$24 / $28
$40 / $46
Tent (5–6 person, 14lbs. 14oz.)
$20 / $22
$11 / $12
$30 / $33
Tent (3–4 person, 4-season, 11 lbs. 9 oz.)
Tarp/ground cloth — (included with tent rental if requested)
$2 / $5
$1 / $2
$3 / $7
$6 / $12
Sleeping Bag includes pad and stuff sack (+20º F/-7º C), (OºF/-18ºC), (-15ºF/-26ºC)
Sleeping Bag Youth
Sleeping Pad (foam, included with sleeping bag rental)
Backpack (multi-day, internal frame 60L & 70L)
$12 / $14
$29 / $35
Lantern—backpacking (1 mantle)
Lantern—car camping (2 mantle)
Stove—backpacking (1 burner)
Stove—car camping (2 burner)
$9 / $13
Cook Kit (2 person or 4 person)
Dutch Camp Oven (12″ or 14″)
Ice Chest (40, 50 or 70 quart)
$9 / $11
Table (32″x32″x28″, rolled 32″x5.5″dia)
$11 / $13
$27 / $32
Bear Vault Canister (approved for Sierra National Parks)
$2 / $3
Dromedary (2.5 gallon /10 liter water bag)
$4 / $6
$6 / $9
Water Container (4 gallon plastic)
Rock Climbing Shoes
$8 / $11
Rock Climbing Crash Pad
$17 / $20
Rain Jacket (lightweight)
Rain Jacket (Goretex)
Headlamp (Requires AAA batteries)
$7 / $12
Trekking Poles (adjustable length)
Rental Item Description
$17 / $23
Bocce ball set
Softball Set (2 bats, 2 balls, 4 bases, 9 gloves)
$15 / $21
Volleyball and net (no upright poles)
$24 / 27
$13 / 14
$37 / $40
$92 / $104
$10 / $11
$27 / $30
Ski/snowboard boots only
$17 / $21
$7 / 10
Board Bag (for boards or skis up to 185 cm)
Snowboard/Ski Shell (jacket or pants)
Snowshoes (includes poles)
$7 / $9
$27 / $20
Inflate balls, bicycle tires
Laundry service: SYNTHETIC comforters
Laundry service: DOWN comforters
Outdoor Recreation resource books and maps
Shop time (repairs by estimate)
Hot Hand Wax (clean and hot wax base)
Hot Hand Wax & Edge (clean base, tune edges and hot wax base)
Basic Tune (clean base, P-tex repairs, belt grind base, tune edges, hot wax base)
$10 up to 5 in $1/in after 5
Base Grind Only
Major service & Repair (refer to other shops for blown edges, large core shots, ski binding mount and other extensive service)
Your feedback is important to us. If you have feedback about your Rental Shop experience, please contact;
Isaac Brandl, Rental Shop Manager
UC San Diego, 9500 Gilman Dr., La Jolla, CA 92093
Copyright © 2008 Regents of the University of California.
All rights reserved. | Terms & Conditions