Katie Shaw-Bullock (Gidget)
Ben Brickley (Brick)
DESCRIPTION & REQUIREMENTS
The Knock Around Camps are built upon our belief that environment dictates a child’s summer experience. Each summer we at Knock Around strive to create a low pressure, high energy, positive environment where children are encouraged to create friendships, explore creativity, and have the time of their lives.
In order to participate in any of our Knock Around Camp Programs, all campers must meet the following minimum requirements:
- Be in compliance with the UC COVID-19 Vaccine Mandate
- Be 5 years old prior to the first day of attendance
- Be potty trained
- Have the ability to understand and abide by camp rules
- Have the ability to understand and follow direction
- Have the ability to participate safely and effectively in a variety of physical and instructional activities
- Have the ability to pay attention without being disruptive
- Understand the consequences of inappropriate behavior
- Have the ability to follow safety instructions
- Have the ability to interact with peer group in a civil manner
- Understand how to respect others and their personal belongings
- Be able to communicate needs to camp staff
- Be able to wear a face covering for the full camp day
NEW! HEALTH AND SAFETY REQUIREMENTS
All campers must comply with the UC COVID-19 Vaccine Mandate (https://returntolearn.ucsd.edu/vaccination/overview/index.html). Campers must also be fully up to date on all other vaccinations by the first day of session enrolled.
All families and campers must follow current CDC, state, county and campus guidelines to reduce the spread of Covid-19. These guidelines can and do change and we will monitor those changes camp progresses. Here are the current guidelines.
Families self-report daily that in the last 10 days
– Camper has not tested positive for covid
– Campers are asymptomatic (no fever or chills, cough, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, fatigue muscle or body aches, headache, loss of taste or smell, sore throat, congestion or runny nose, nausea or vomiting, diarrhea)
– Campers have not been a close contact with anyone diagnosed with COVID-19
– No one in their household has been diagnosed with a COVID-19 infection
• If camper tests positive for COVID-19, they are not allowed to return to camp until they have been cleared by their medical provider and written documentation has been provided to Camp Directors.
• If a household member or close contact tests positive for COVID-19, camper is only allowed to return to camp after following the latest guidance found here: https://returntolearn.ucsd.edu/campus-guidelines/exposure-contact-tracing/index.html#
• To protect others, each camper must have a face covering with them at all times and are encouraged to wear them.
• Indoor activities require face coverings
• While outdoors, face coverings encouraged.
• Frequently wash hands for 20 seconds Use hand sanitizer when hand washing not available. Any child under 9 years old will use hand sanitizer with adult supervision.
• Scheduled hand wash breaks before and after eating
• If campers are not able to abide by any/all of the above requirements, they will be asked to leave camp for the duration of the summer.
Our counselors are positive, energetic, highly motivated college students or recent alumni. We believe it is our counselors that separate Knock Around from many other day camps in San Diego. As college students, the counselors can play an active role in each child’s life as a positive role model. They create an energetic and open atmosphere that helps campers feel comfortable to be themselves. All counselors are certified in CPR and first aid, familiar with the UCSD campus, and experienced in working with children.
Additionally, We hope to have all counselors vaccinated prior to camp starting in June. Counselors will also
be wearing masks all day, every day. Counselors are required to complete a daily symptom and temperature check, and will undergo weekly COVID testing throughout the duration of the summer.
9:00am–12:00pm, Scheduled group/specialty activities (i.e. Art, gymnastics, rock climbing, fencing, dance, etc.)
1:15–3:00pm, Individual Group Swim & Snack time(s)
3-4:00pm, Free time in the Rec Gym
The specific hours of each group’s activities will vary. At times, there are changes to this schedule and we will keep you posted throughout the session.
February 26th – The last day to email Gidget or Brick to be included in the lottery (everyone on our email list, including returning campers from summer 2021, has automatically been included)
March 2nd – The registration order and directions are sent out to all camp parents
March 7th – Registration begins for our returning families who have attended for 6+ years
March 14th – Registration begins for affiliates and 2021 returners with lottery numbers
From I-5 (Interstate 5) to Genesee Avenue:
Go west on Genesee. Turn left (south) on N. Torrey Pines Road (far left lane). At the first light (North Point Drive), turn left. Continue on around Campus Loop Road past the fields and RIMAC. The Hopkins Parking Structure will be on your right.