We are wrapping up our season with the 2015 Sports Clubs Banquet, held on May 29th, 2015, to highlight all the amazing things our athletes, coaches and teams have accomplished this year. We will also be honoring 7 individuals who were nominated by their peers or our staff for their talents and contributions to their teams as well as the program. And the award goes to….
MALE ATHLETE OF THE YEAR
- Led the nation in hits (54)
- 4th in the nation in RBI’s (38)
- 6th in the nation in batting average (.537)
- 2015 MCLA Honorable Mention All-America Defense
- 2015 SLC 1st Team All-Conference Defense
- 2014 SLC 1st Team All-Conference Defense
- 2013 SLC All-Freshman
FEMALE ATHLETE OF THE YEAR
- Multiple first-team All-league and MVP awards
- National Recognition
- Motivator on and off the court
CAPTAIN OF THE YEAR
- As Keeper, has stopped two penalty kicks, one against UCSB, the other CalPoly SLO (both kept the team in the game).
- Amy has been the Women’s Club Soccer Captain for the past two years and will be returning as a senior. She is highly organized and always in communication with the Sports Clubs Office keeping the team in excellent standing with the program, their league and National Governing Body.
- She was instrumental in the success of the 6thand 7th Annual UCSD Club Soccer Invitationals and led their team to 1st in league this past spring.
COACH OF THE YEAR
- Has coached the Surf Team for over 15 years
- Believes in coaching more than great athletes, and he strives to develop strong leaders who will make a difference after they graduate and start careers of their own.
- Instrumental in securing sponsors like Rusty and Mountain Dew for the Surf Team to reduce costs to the athletes.
DUSTIN NEWELL MEMORIAL AWARD
- Despite being injured and unable to play, led the team on and off the field
- Liaison between the Women’s Club Soccer Team and other Sports Clubs teams to encourage cross-team events and support
- Represents the Sports Clubs program and Recreation department as a member on the new Recreation Student Advisory Board (REC S.A.B.)
JEFF SIMON MEMORIAL AWARAD
- First year varsity skipper
- Coordinated the team’s first international competition and assisted team to 3rd place finish in Western Canada Cup
- Participate in Tall Ships Sailing as a crew member on the Irving Johnson
THE “ONE TEAM AWARD”
- Participated in every Sports Clubs Community event from Dodgeball and Bowling to the Campus Clean-Up event.
- Traveled to Occidental College to cheer on the Men’s Lacrosse Team in their first round of playoffs
- Supported Men’s Lacrosse, Baseball, Men’s Soccer and other teams throughout the year
- Worked with the Surf Team to make sandwich lunches for the homeless community
Congrats to all of our Sports Clubs superstars!! Want to get in the game with UC San Diego Sports Clubs? Find out more information here!