Not a Member? Recreation Members receive access to all of our facilities located conveniently across campus, and receive discounted pricing on a variety of classes, trips, services and more! Become a Recreation Member today.
TRAVEL & LOGISTICS
Wilderness Orientation Office (858) 534-3534 | firstname.lastname@example.org
If Delayed: If your arrival is delayed for any reason, please call the Wilderness Orientation Admissions office at (858) 534-3534.
Move In: Wilderness Orientation staff will help students move into their residence halls if the trip ends on your move-in day.
Pre-Course Travel Arrangements
We recommend you make your travel plans as soon as possible to avoid complications. You should consider purchasing tickets that are refundable or changeable in case unforeseen events create changes in your plans. The nearest commercial airport is San Diego International Airport, which is about 25 minutes from UC San Diego. Most major commercial airlines service the airport. You must arrange for transportation from the airport or train station to Outback Adventures (see Shuttle Services below). You should take the following precautions with your luggage to ensure its timely arrival: Carry essential items onto the plane with you including prescription medications, passports, and hiking boots. Check your luggage all the way through to San Diego, especially if you are changing planes en route. Retain your luggage claim stubs. These are important tools for tracking any missing luggage.
Pre-Course If you plan to fly in the night before your course begins, below is a list of some local accommodation options. All are within walking distance or along the MTS Bus Route 30 line which comes directly to campus. This is by no means an exhaustive list and a simple internet search can provide further hotels or hostels if you would prefer different accommodations.
- San Diego Estancia, La Jolla Hotel, 9700 N Torrey Pines Rd, San Diego, CA 0E - (888) 206-2247 0E
- Residence Inn, San Diego La Jolla, 8901 Gilman Drive, La Jolla, CA 0E - (858) 587-1770 0E
- Sheraton La Jolla Hotel, 3299 Holiday Court, La Jolla, CA 0E - (858) 453-5500 0E - 0.8 mi SE
- Hyatt Regency La Jolla, 3777 La Jolla Village Dr., San Diego, CA 0E - (858) 552-1234 0E - 1.0 mi SE
- San Diego Marriott, La Jolla, 4240 La Jolla Village Drive, La Jolla, CA - (858) 587-1414 0E - 1.4 mi SE
- On Campus Any nights spent on campus between the start date and end date of your trip will camp in tents on the grounds of our facilities. Students will have access to locker rooms for restrooms throughout and shower facilities on the last night of the trip.
- In Wilderness on backpacking and paddling trips All nights on the trip will be spent camping outdoors on the ground in 3-4 person tents with sleeping bags and sleeping pads. No shower or formal restroom facilities will be available. Wilderness Orientation staff will instruct participants in backcountry hygiene at the start of the trip.
Storage of Personal Belongings
Personal belongings can be stored at Outback Adventures for the duration of your course. If you are moving in to your residence hall at the close of the trip we have space to store a larger quantity of belongings and will help you move into your residence hall. Please label all boxes with your name and trip location. Outback Adventures does not assume any liability for lost, stolen, or damaged personal property while in our care.
Parking is available on campus for the duration of your course, but you will need to purchase a parking permit from the UC San Diego Parking Office. Students who chose to bring their car can purchase a 10-day permit (around $47). Please visit: http://parking.ucsd.edu for further information and specifics regarding this option.
You will be out of telephone contact for the duration of your field experience and cell phones are not allowed on course. Should a family member need to contact our Administration Offices during your trip, please call (858) 534-3534. All wilderness trips (backpack, canoe, kayak) trips will carry a satellite phone for emergency communication with Outback Administration. To preserve battery life, satellite phones will be turned off unless WO trip leaders need to contact Outback Administration during the trip.
Bring enough cash to cover expenses encountered while traveling to and from Outback Adventures. Additional expenses may include final night group meal, shuttle fees, phone calls, additional rental gear, any miscellaneous purchases like sunscreen, toiletries, etc. We suggest a minimum of $75. Questions concerning course content, enrollment, passport requirements, etc., should be directed to the Wilderness Orientation Admissions Office at the same address, by phone at (858) 534-3534 or email@example.com