By: Erin Kukura, MS, RD
UCSD Recreation Dietitian
photo by i heart vegetables
Grain bowls are one of my favorite go-to meals! There are endless possibilities so you can make a variety of delicious, healthy meals. I find these make great lunches for the week ahead! (Click here for instructional YouTube video)
- Start with cooking your grain, in this case farro! It is an ancient whole grain that has a slightly nutty flavor and great texture! It’s easy to cook, simply boil water, add the farro and cook for 10-12 minutes, draining any remaining water.
- Prep vegetables to roast. Preheat the oven to 400 F. Chop cauliflower and carrots and mix with olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic, and paprika!
- Add protein. Chickpeas are the main protein source in this meal. Rinse a can of chickpeas and pat dry with a paper towel. Then, add them to the veggies and olive oil and spices.
- Roast your chickpea and vegetables. Place on sheet pan with parchment paper and roast for 20-30 minutes.
- Assemble! Start the base of your bowl with farro, add the roasted chickpea and vegetable mixture. You can also add in some fresh vegetables (salad, cucumber, tomatoes) to freshen it up.
- Add toppings! I always add feta cheese, and hummus but other great toppings include pumpkin seeds, balsamic dressing and tzatziki sauce!
Click here to schedule a session with our Registered Dietitian today!
Please note all sessions will be held via Zoom at this time.