Not a Member? Recreation Members receive access to all of our facilities located conveniently across campus, and receive discounted pricing on a variety of classes, trips, services and more! Become a Recreation Member today.
JUNIOR COUNSELOR PROGRAM
Designed for high school students who would like to further enhance their leadership abilities and learn what it is like to be a counselor at Knock Around Camp. All Junior Counselors will be placed into a group alongside two full-time counselors and asked to take on certain responsibilities, including: dynamically interacting with the campers, facilitating games and projects, monitoring the safety of camp, and participating in various camp activities. In exchange, Junior Counselors will gain positive workplace experience, leadership skills, an environment to grow creatively, and the extreme satisfaction that comes with being a mentor to younger children. Space for the Junior Counselor program is limited and prospective participants must meet the following criteria to be considered for the program:
- Participant must have completed at least one year of high school.
- Participant must have previously attended Knock Around Camp as a camper. Those applying who have not previously attended camp, must be referred by a Knock Around Camp family or current employee.
- Participant must complete and return the application to Gidget by March 19th
- Participant (even if returning from last summer) must be available to participate in a training dayon Saturday, June 2nd from 9am–3pm
- Participant must be available to participate in one of two camp work days: Friday, July 13th from 4–6pm or Friday, August 10th from 4–6pm
- Participant must complete CPR/First Aid certification prior to the first day of their scheduled session.
Due to the popularity of the Junior Counselor program, we unfortunately cannot guarantee a spot to everyone who wishes to participate. We will notify the prospective participants by April 20th as to whether they have been selected for the 2018 Junior Counselor program. Participants selected as Junior Counselors will be assigned to a group for a minimum of two weeks according to their schedule and our program needs.
The following program costs for training and CPR/First Aid certification apply to all participants selected as Junior Counselors and are payable by check (made out to UC Regents) on the day of training:
- First Year Junior Counselor with Training and CPR/First Aid Certification: $195
- Returning Junior Counselor with Training only: $50
- Returning Junior Counselor with Training and CPR/First Aid Recertification: $90
- Applications will be available starting on February 12th and are due back by March 19th.
Please have the prospective participant email Gidget at: email@example.com to receive an application or with any questions.