The following set of coed volleyball rule modifications have been adapted from the Official UCSD Intramural Volleyball Rules. These modifications have been established to equalize competition for both male and female participants. All rules, violations, and penalties not mentioned by this modification outline shall be covered explicitly in the Official UCSD Intramural Volleyball Rules.
I. Team Size
- A team consists of 6 players (3 women, 3 men). There shall be no limit to the number of eligible players.
- The minimum number of players that can start a game are two female players and two male players.
- At no time can a team field fewer than four players, or more male players than females (2 women, 2 men or 3 women, 2 men).
- Only players listed on the official roster are eligible to participate on a volleyball team.
- All players must meet the eligibility requirements of the UC San Diego Intramural Sports Office.
- Additions and subtractions to official team roster must be made prior to that team’s third league game. No changes to rosters will be accepted after that time.
- If one or both teams do not have 6 players present and ready at 5 minutes after game time, a non-roster player may participate upon approval from the opposing team captain, and may only play one game for any particular team. The referee must be notified concerning the participation of a non-roster player.
- AN INDIVIDUAL MAY PLAY ON ONLY ONE TEAM
- The top of the net of coed play shall be 8 feet from the floor.
IV. Player Position
- Serving order and position on the floor must be an alternation of men and women.
- Switching after the serve is permissible
- Player switching can occur only after the ball is contacted on serve.
V. Length of Match
- Matches are generally scheduled within a one-hour time frame.
- A match will consist of three games. All games rally scoring: the first two games to 25, the third game to 15 points. All three games played will be used to compute league standings.
- Play-off matches will be best 2-of-3.
VI. Ball in Play
- When the ball is played by more than one player on the team, a player of the opposite gender must make one of the contacts.
- When there are two females and only one male on the front line, a back line player (usually a male) may come up to the front line to block.
- However, no back line player is allowed to spike the ball unless his/her takeoff is behind the ten-foot line.
VIII. Attacking Coed Play
- Under the rules of play (8 foot net), no attacking (hitting) restrictions will apply expect those prescribed under regulation USVBA rules.
IX. Ball Handling (Setting)
- Both hands must contact all overhead passes (sets) with two hands simultaneously in a clearly distinct manner.
- The legality of all ball-handling attempts will be at the discretion of the official. His or her interpretation shall be the interpretation that will be used for that match.
- Deep-dish, hesitation, angled-direction, and one-hand sets will always be critically analyzed by the game official.
- A team is allowed one time-out each game without penalty.
- Time-outs should not exceed 45 seconds.
- While the ball is dead the playing captain may make a request for time out to the official, but requests for time-outs shall not be granted after the official has blown his whistle to indicate readiness for play.