The following set of Coed Rule modifications have been adapted from the Official UC San Diego Intramural Indoor Soccer Rules. These modifications have been established to equalize competition for both male and female participants. All rules not mentioned within this modification outline shall be explicitly covered in the Official UCSD Intramural Indoor Soccer Rules that are available in the Intramural Office.
I. Team Size
- A team consists of six (6) players (3 men, 3 women). There shall be no limit to the number of eligible players on a roster.
- Teams must have at least 5 players (3 men, 2 women) present to start a game.
- All players must meet the eligibility participation requirements of the UC San Diego Intramural Sports Department. Additions and subtractions to official team rosters must be made prior to that team’s third league game. No changes to rosters will be accepted after that time.
- Players who have played two games with a team are automatically considered an official member of that particular team.
AN INDIVIDUAL MAY PLAY ON ONLY ONE TEAM.
- If one or both teams do not have at least 5 players (3 men, 2 women) present and ready at 5 minutes after game time, a non-roster player may participate upon approval from the opposing team captain and may only play one game for that particular team.
- No more than 3 members of the current UC San Diego Men’s or Women’s Intercollegiate or Club Soccer teams are eligible to compete for an intramural indoor soccer team. These three members are limited to playing in combinations of either 2 men and 1 woman or 1 man and 2 women. Any team utilizing varsity team members must play at the highest level of competition.
- A man’s goal will be worth one point.
- A woman’s goal will be worth two points.
- KICKS: Penalty kicks may be taken by either a man or a woman.
- The point value of these penalty kicks will remain the same as in regular play (male goals worth one point, and female goals worth two points).
- Penalty kicks will be taken from the center of the orange line nearest to the attacking goal.
V. Playoff Shoot-Outs
- The order of the kickers must alternate male, female, etc. During playoff shoot-outs, all goals will count as one point.
- There will be unlimited substitution, however, a male may only substitute for a male and a female may only substitute for a female. Hence, there may never be more than 3 male and 3 female players in the arena at any one time.
VII. “Glued” Hand
- HAND PLAY: Women may use their hands and arms in a protective manner above the waist by “gluing” their hands to an area of the torso about to be contacted by the ball. The hands may not be used to control the ball under any circumstances, but only to protect. Such a play will not result in a foul.
VIII. Indoor v. Outdoor
- The goalie position may be played by either a male or a female. There will be no position restrictions.
- There will be no three-touch rule.
- There will be no 5-yard rule. A male player may challenge a female player in any area of the arena.