The following set of Coed Flag Football Rule modifications have been adapted from the UC San Diego Intramural Sports Flag Football Rules. These modifications have been established to equalize competition for both male and female participants. All rules and penalties not covered by this modification outline shall be covered explicitly in the Official Men’s/Women’s Flag Football Rules.
I. Team Size
- A team consists of 6 players (3 men, 3 women). There shall be no limit to the number of eligible players on a roster.
- Teams must have all 6 players present to start a game.
II. Offensive Blocking
- All blocking must be above the waist and below the head and is permitted only under the following circumstances:
A~ Men may only block men.
B~ Women may only block women.
C~ Instances in which a man confronts a woman (or vice-versa), a screen block
(either moving or stationary) must be utilized.
- No contact initiated by the offensive player is allowed under any circumstances other than (A) or (B).
Personal foul violation: 12 yards from the end of the play or spot of the foul, whichever puts the offensive team at its greatest disadvantage.
III. Runs From Scrimmage
- Only women may make direct or indirect runs from scrimmage.
- Men may not carry the ball from scrimmage nor may they receive a pass behind the line-of-scrimmage and advance past it.
Illegal procedure violation: 4 yards from the line-of-scrimmage.
IV. Passing Play Situations
- Quarterbacks and/or passers may either be male or female.
- Men may throw passes to men only ONE time in a series of four downs (not on P.A.T.)
- Women who QB may complete passes to any player at any time.
Illegal procedure violation: 4 yards from the line of scrimmage.
- On all punts, at least 3 defensive players must be at the line-of-scrimmage and at least one man must be on the line of scrimmage.
- All punts must be announced.
VI. Coed Pass Defense
- Zone pass defenses will not be allowed at any time. All pass defenses must be man-to-man, woman-to-woman.
- Any male player who intercepts a forward pass intended for a female receiver outside of the neutral zone shall be guilty of defensive pass interference. The neutral zone shall be designated as that area of the playing field that is 5 yards to both the right and the left of the ball as it is placed ready for play and up to and including that area that is 5 yards both upfield and downfield from the ball.
Zone pass defense violation: 12 yards from the line of scrimmage. Defensive pass interference violation: Automatic first down from the spot of infraction.