The following set of coed basketball rule modifications have been adapted from the Official UCSD Intramural Basketball Rules. These modifications have been established to equalize competition for both male and female participants. All rules, violations, and penalties not mentioned by this modification outline shall be covered explicitly in the Official UC San Diego Intramural Basketball Rules.
I. Team Size
- A team consists of 5 players (3 women, 2 men). There shall be no limit to the number of eligible players on a roster. Teams must have at least 4 players present to start a game (2 women, 2 men or 3 women, 1 man).
- Any student who has played and/or practiced as an official member of the current varsity basketball team while the intramural season is in progress shall not be eligible. Members of the previous year’s varsity team will be allowed to compete, but may only do so in a league at the very highest level of competition. Only one player in that status may compete on any one team.
- If a player participates in two games with a particular team he/she is automatically on that team.
III. Putting the Ball in Play
- Play will start with a jump ball at the center circle.
- Any two women will jump center to start the first half of play.
- In the event of a tie game, any two women will jump at center to start the overtime periods.