- Only players listed on the official roster are eligible to participate on a basketball team. All players must meet the eligibility participation requirements of the UC San Diego Intramural Sports Office (See Participation Guidelines). Additions and subtractions to official team rosters must be made prior to that team’s third week of play. No changes to rosters will be accepted after that time.
- If one or both teams do not have 3 players present and ready at 5 minutes after game time, a non-roster player may participate upon approval from the opposing team captain, and may only play one night for any particular team.
- An individual may play on only one team.
- Any student who is a current or last year’s member of the intercollegiate basketball team (including redshirts) shall be allowed to compete, but may only compete in a league at the very highest level of competition. Teams are allowed only one ICA player per team
II. Start Time
- All games must start by 5 minutes past the hour and half-hour. The time limit is 30 minutes so teams should start themselves as soon as both teams are present, the clock is used for the final 25 minutes only. A team must have two players present to start the game.
- One 1-minute time out is allowed each team per game.
- Once a player has been substituted in for a game, he/she may not re-enter that game.
V. Beginning of Play
- Play shall begin with one players shooting from the top of the 3 point line to decide possession. The loser automatically gets first possession for the start of the second game. Jump balls shall alternate possession after the start of each game.
- Each basket from inside the three-point line will count as one point. Baskets made from behind the line will be worth two points. The team that scores is awarded possession out of bounds at the half-court stripe. Winner’s outs.
- Each match shall consist of two games to 11 points straight up (no need to win by two)
- In the event that time ends before the game is over, the game will continue if the point spread is less than 4 (i.e 10-7, 5-4, etc) The game will then be played to the next highest point (i.e. 10-7 will be played to 11; 5-4 will be played to 6 etc)
VII. Throw Ins
- All throw ins shall take place at the top of the three point line. The ball must be passed to a teammate to begin play. There will be no “free-ins,” all inbound passes may be contested.
- Any change of possession must be cleared (this includes shots that do not hit the backboard as well as steals)
- Clearing the ball will be considered both feet behind the free throw line extended. If the ball is not properly cleared and that team scores, they will lose the points scored and possession of the ball.
- Players must call their own fouls. There will be no referees.
- The team that is fouled will be awarded possession of the basketball and must complete a throw in from the top of the three point line.
- Fouls are not recorded; therefore, nobody fouls out.
- If during any 1 possession, a defensive team fouls 3 times, the offensive team will get 1 free-throw (worth 1 point if made) and possession of the ball (so there is no need to rebound)
X. Recording Scores
- In order to get credit for a victory, teams must turn in scores to the supervisor, and write them on the official score board.
XI. Rescheduled Games
- Every effort must be made to play games as they are scheduled. If a team finds that they absolutely must miss a week’s games, it is their responsibility to contact the 3 on 3 coordinator and the opposing Team Captain to inform them that they will be unable to make it and possibly arrange a reschedule. Forfeits and cancellations the day of the game will not be tolerated. Any team that forfeits the first week or forfeits more than once at any time will be replaced.
XII. Unsportsmanlike Conduct
- Fighting—any acts of aggressive physical violence will not be tolerated. This includes throwing a punch, kicking an individual or any other aggressive acts. Any player guilty of such an action immediately before, during, or after an intramural contest shall be expelled from further participation in intramural sports for the duration of one year.
- Any team that shows repeated instances of unsportsmanlike conduct and/or fighting will be subject to removal from the league.