OUTBACK ADVENTURES POLICIES
OUTBACK TRIPS & CLASSES SIGN-UP INFORMATION
SIGN UP ONLINE or IN PERSON at Outback Surf Shop, Outback Rental Shop or Main Gym, RIMAC and Canyonview Aquatics Center Sales Desks.
WHO GOES ON TRIPS?
Outback trips serve UC San Diego students, staff, and faculty, and the general community by providing adventures such as backpacking, camping, kayaking, surfing, and rock climbing. Participants must be 18 years or older, except on child specific programs or family trips where younger participants must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
OUTBACK TRIPS INCLUDE:
Transportation to and from the outing from Outback Adventures
Trained and experienced guides
Instruction in the trip equipment unless otherwise noted
All safety equipment
All group camping and trip equipment unless otherwise notes
Entrance, parking, and camping fees
Food while camping (on trips longer than 1 day)
50% rental discount at the Outback Rental Shop on any equipment you need for your trip!
WHAT TRIP SHOULD I CHOOSE?
We have tried to arrange our trips in a way that makes it easy for you to find exactly what you want. All of our trips are arranged here by length of trip, and then by date. Glance through the trips and look what what you want specifically!
WARNING: Adventure travel has inherent risks of injury and/or death. These risks contribute to the “adventure” aspect of our trips. UC San Diego Outback Adventures and its employees assume no liability for any damages, loss, injury, or death as a result of our outings. Some trips have a prerequisite fitness level, for which the participants are responsible.
IS THIS GOING TO BE TOO HARD?
All of our trips are geared for beginners with no previous experience or skill, unless otherwise noted. Our trips are designed to expose you to new skills and introduce you to the diverse activities that you can enjoy in the outdoors. Some of our trips, however, are more physically demanding than others. All waterspouts participants must be able to swim. If you have questions about whether a trip will fit your physical capabilities, please contact the Outdoor Leadership Coordinator at (828) 534-3534.
To sign up for our trips, register online, drop by Outback Adventures, Outback Surf Shop or RIMAC during our business hours. Don’t miss out! Register early- trips fill quickly. Sorry, we are unable to take registrations over the phone. Note that the first price listed is for UC San Diego students and Rec Members, and the second price is for Non-Members.
All trips depart from Outback Adventures Rental Shop unless otherwise specified.
CANCELLATION OF TRIPS
We plan for success. Outback Adventures creates trips and prepares resources and logistics with our mission, customers, and goals of the specific trip in mind. We are disappointed when programs must be cancelled, but it happens on occasion. Some of the reasons we need to cancel a program are:
Predicted or prevailing unsafe weather conditions
Illness or injury among the guiding staff
Rarely, other circumstances beyond our control
TRIPS AND CLASSES REFUND POLICY
In the event that we must cancel a program due to one of the above stated reasons, Outback Adventures issues all participants full refunds. Participants are notified of the change in plans. Our staff immediately begins the process of issuing refunds.
If you cancel your registration
More than 30 days before 1st day of the program = 90% full refund
More than 14 days before 1st day of program = 75% refund
Less than 14 days before 1st day of program = no refund
NOTE: Transferring dates, programs, or times constitutes a cancellation and the above policy applies.
OUTBACK GEAR RENTAL INFORMATION
Come get geared up for your next adventure at the Outback Adventures Rental Shop, the best place on campus for information, registration, and gear for any of our amazing outings, or one of your own! Whether you’re planning an expedition to the heart of the wilderness or to the heart of Pacific Beach, the Rental Shop has everything from tents and sleeping bags to surfboards and horseshoes. Of course our amazing staff are always available to provide advice a-plenty and there is free 20 minute parking for easy loading and unloading. With the best prices for students around as well as weekend and weekly rentals rates, why buy?
Please take a moment to read over how our rentals work.
1. ONE DAY — This rate allows you to rent an item until closing of the following day.
2. ADDITIONAL DAY — This rate allows you to rent an item for multiple days at a reduced cost, in addition to the original one day cost.
3. WEEKEND — The weekend rate is designed for customers looking to rent an item for the weekend ONLY. This rental period allows you to rent items from Friday to Monday.
4. WEEK — This rental rate allows you to rent an item for a full seven days. If you rent an item on a Thursday, it will be due Thursday of the following week.
ANSWERS TO COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
When do I pay?
Rental fees must be paid in full at the time of reservation. Deposits must be left at the time of reservation or equipment pickup.
Who can rent?
Anyone with proper identification can rent from Outback Adventures. A current UC San Diego ID or a government issued ID such as a driver’s license or passport can be used for identification.
Do I need to leave a deposit?
All customers except enrolled UC San Diego students must leave a deposit. A deposit is a credit card imprint, signed travelers check, a check written to UC REGENTS, or cash equal to the approximate retail replacement value of the equipment rented. Your deposit will be returned to you upon return of all the equipment and payment of any and all late fees, repair and/or replacement costs. Students with unpaid fees will have their UC San Diego Student Account held until fees are cleared.
How do I reserve equipment?
You may reserve any item as far in advance as you like. Reservations for equipment that requires fitting (e.g., skis, boots), must be made in person at Outback Rental Shop. All other equipment can be reserved over the phone: (858) 534-0684 or at either of our locations. Reservations must be paid in full at the time they are made. All other rentals are first-come, first-serve basis.
How do I know equipment is complete and working when I pick it up?
You don’t. Please inspect all equipment before you leave. If you find any damage or missing parts, immediately bring it to our attention so we can help you. You are responsible for any cleaning, damage or missing parts upon return.
What if I don’t use or pick up reserved equipment?
There are NO REFUNDS for any unused equipment or equipment not picked up for any reason.
How much equipment can I rent?
You can rent as much equipment as you like, but advance reservations are recommended to ensure availability.
What if I don’t know how to use the equipment?
Please be sure to request instruction if you are the slightest bit unsure on how to use the equipment. Knowing how to use the equipment correctly will help save your time and help you avoid spending money on damage fees resulting from inexperienced use of the equipment.
Who gets discount student pricing?
Only currently enrolled UC students are eligible for student discount pricing. UC students from other campuses must present a valid UC ID to receive student pricing. UC San Diego Extension students are not eligible for student pricing as they do not pay student registration fees.
Can I buy your used equipment?
Outback Adventures typically hosts an equipment sale in the Fall and Spring Quarters. Please visit recreation.ucsd.edu/outback for the dates of the next equipment sale.
Please contact the Rental Shop to cancel a reservation.
More than one week = full refund
More than 48 hours = store credit for reservation total, can be used for rental items only. Cancellation credits expire on June 15th.
Less than 48 hours = customer forfeits all rental fees, no refund or credit.
What do I need to know when I return the equipment?
- All gear must be returned clean or service charges will apply.
- You are responsible for the specific equipment you signed for.
- You are solely responsible for any damages and timely return of equipment.
- For equipment to be considered returned, it must be physically returned and any damage, cleaning or late fees must be paid. Hours change periodically. You are responsible for knowing our hours.
- Tents must be returned, clean and dry or you will be assessed a cleaning charge.
What if I lose or damage the equipment?
- You are responsible for any loss, theft, breakage or any other damage done to equipment rented out to you.
- Repair costs will be determined by our customer service repre- sentatives. Repair for severe damage or replacement costs will be determined by the program director or Outback store manager.
- Replacement costs for items normally rented in pairs (i.e. skis, boots, ns, etc.) will be the cost for replacement of the entire pair.
What if I am returning equipment late?
- You will be charged the additional day rental rate for your late items for each day they are late.
- We DO NOT waive late fees.
- Any items late by 3 or more weeks will be considered stolen and the deposit will be forfeited. Billing will be for retail replacement costs plus four weeks late fees.
- Items not returned, which do not have a deposit associated with them, will be billed on your Bursar’s account and will include a non-refundable service charge.For more information on shop hours and contact, click here.